Monday, April 03, 2006

Pay a lot for dinner...get breakfast too

Don't worry, I'm back. After a week of fun filled adventures, and preparing for fun filled adventures, I'm here to write about them. I'll begin with Saturday night, we went to Gramercy Tavern, the #1 rated by Zagats for 2006. We arrived at 6 PM for our three course prix-fixe menu, unsure of exactly what to expect. After a false Simon Cowell we settled on some delicious cocktails to start. And then the bread man came, the first of at least 5 visits to our table. No, you don't get a basket of bread, a waiter comes and puts the bread on your plate each time the last morsel of bread is gone. I love that. Especially when they're on top of it and always there with the next piece when you're ready. It helped that the bread was really really good.

It became clear very early that this was going to be the 3-hour meal for which I was hoping. Shortly after we selected our first and second courses (or perhaps it was right before), they presented us with an appetizer, yes, that's right, presented to us. Simultaneously, two waiters came and gave us each the appetizer at the exact same time. That would continue for each course throughout the meal, I think that was my favorite part of the meal. The appetizer (not included as one of the courses) was the teeny tiniest bruscetta, or maybe crostini (I'm still not sure I know the difference) that I've ever seen. Smaller than bite size, but still quite delicious. We got three of these bonus mini courses, the second one coming after our first course (that sounds weird) and the third coming right before dessert. Each was just as small as the first, but all very very yummy.

So if you include all the itsy-bitsy courses, it was a six-course meal, which took about 4 hours. The wait staff had an uncanny ability to know when we were ready for the presentation of the next course, we were left alone just long enough before each course, which I probably appreciated the most about the meal...or maybe, it was the fact that they gave us breakfast for the following morning. What? Yes, that's correct, a nicely packaged muffin for our enjoyment after we left the restaurant. It's a whole new realm out there...go for dinner, get breakfast. Maybe that's why it's so expensive, if you just divide the price of dinner by two (because you're getting two meals "for the price of one"), it doesn't look so bad. I'm definitely a fan of this trend. No more chocolates with the bill; it's like going to a wedding and getting to take a piece of cake home. I think it's a trend that should definitely be adopted. Thumbs up for the breakfast with dinner.

Definitely a few firsts for me. Bonus courses, bonus breakfast, all very very good. So good in fact, I had to come home and go straight to bed. I got all worn out from the marathon eating. Actually, the amount of time we spent at the restaurant was about the same time it might take someone to run a marathon (not me of course), isn't that crazy? I'll take eating at a fancy restaurant over running any day - a big thank you to my eating buddies for the indulgence!

No comments: