Thursday, April 06, 2006

Leader of the Pack

No, no, no, the leader of this pack is not me. No, not Jeff...yes it's absolutely our crazy cat. Seriously, crazy. She'll follow us around and then bite us (fine, nip us) when we pet her (which we'll only do after she gives us the squeak which we have interpreted as wanting to be petted, perhaps we need to refine our cat language skills). She has the most energy of any 3 year old cat that I know of, perhaps it's because we feed her kitten food? Somehow I doubt it. She's either sleeping or running wildly around the teeny apartment, it's like she's a goldfish, she forgets that she just ran through the living room and does it again.

She has been especially spoiled since I arrived without work to this great city. Tuna for lunch, sometimes turkey...prompt feeding times in the morning, hours and hours of head scratching and petting, and pretty much all the attention she wants, she gets.

So in return, we ask little, maybe a little purring every once in awhile, and for pete's sake, if you see a bug, KILL IT! Don't watch it run by and go under the sink. Don't wait for us to half kill it for you to finish the job. You have one instinct, and that is to chase birds and bugs, so come on little kitty, we've held up our end of the bargain, now it's your turn. You chase your little stuffed bear around the entire apartment for hours. Think of it as training for you.

As you may have guessed, we had a little buggy visitor last night, and the cat was interested in it, but not enough to actually get it. She camped out by the sink after it ran under there, but I'm not sure that counts. So after the bug debacle we went to bed, only to wake up in the middle of the night to the cat pushing both Jeff and I completely out of bed. She had taken over the middle section of the bed, lying sideways, pushing each of us to our respective edges of the bed. And, of course, she got all sorts of head scratching all the while she's pushing out of bed. Wait...this is her reward for not killing the bug? Hmmm...sounds like we're the enablers.

And then, this morning after her morning ritual (kick us out of bed, get breakfast and going back and sleeping in our still warm bed) she wandered out into the living room while I was "housewifing it" (read: watching morning crap tv), meowed at me until I made room on the couch for her, jumped up, flopped down on top of me and then proceeded to bite me until I got off the couch. And that, my friends, is the last straw. I'm not sure what kind of recourse I have, perhaps next time I won't make room for her, maybe
today she'll only get 1 hour of head scratching.

Yeah, if I think I'm lucky, it's nothing compared to our little show girl. Yeah, fine, so we got her de-clawed, but I think she leads a pretty good life, right now she's got the whole couch while I'm in the crappy chair. Maybe if she weren't so furry it would be easier to kick her off her throne, unfortunately the furry little face is irresistible. But I swear, if I'm pushed out of bed again tonight, I will not pet her in the process.

No comments: