Friday, March 24, 2006

Fieldtrip Friday IV

I decided since I absolutely did not need any new cook or bakeware, or really, anything new for the kitchen, that today I would go and visit two cooking supply stores. Often times I not the most logical person, I should go to a supply store when I actually need something (mostly because we all know that it would be very difficult for me to leave the store without buying something). But I had my mind made up...kitchen supply stores it was.

Desperately hoping for a beautiful spring day, and feeling awfully defiant, I wore my spring coat for the adventure (yes, that's as rebellious as I get). It's funny though, really, I was the only one who was going to suffer if it wasn't warm out, it's not like I would hurt Mother Nature's feelings or get something in return for taking a stand. As it turns out, it wasn't very warm today, but I didn't freeze to death (I did bring a hat and gloves, I told you, I'm not that rebellious). It was trying very very hard to be warm, but it was cloudy. I did, however, see a few people wearing flip flops or shorts or tank tops, so I guess I wasn't the only one feeling the need for spring. Definitely not warm enough for flip flops.

Anyways, I checked my route with google maps and headed out the door with neither a map of my route, or hand written directions, a first for this anal Fieldtrip Fridayer. I did however, take a map (like previously mentioned multiple times, I am both anal and not crazy), so I guess I wasn't being too wild, although it felt that way. It was a 6 mile walk (I did take the subway home, only so I could write this before all three of my readers went to bed), so I planned for a couple hours of fun. The first place was on the east side, in midtown, so it was a nice stroll through the park, and like a typical new yorker, I chatted on my cell phone almost the whole walk.

When I got there (Bridge Kitchenware), I think my heart skipped a beat. From the outside you could see piles and piles of cookware stacked up. The place was pretty tiny, but it had everything a cook could dream of. All the things from Williams-Sonoma that they stock only for holidays (heart shaped things and leaf shaped things and Christmas papers and things), plus every other pot and pan and utensil in every possible size imaginable, holy cow! It felt a little old and dusty in the place, but everywhere you turned there was a new discovery. Not actually needing anything, I wasn't looking to buy, unfortunately I left the store with a wine foil seal breaker thingy (we actually did need one of those and I never knew where to get a new one) and a biscuit cutter, as I had been wanting one for awhile. What I really wanted but was able to restrain myself was a cast iron sandwich press, it was a pan the exact size of a slice of bread. Perfect for grilled sandwiches. But for $8.50 I decided to wait on it (I would have needed to buy two anyways to press down the sandwich with the 2nd pan or to make 2 sandwiches at once).

So it was on to my next stop, which was down in SoHo, my new favorite neighborhood. To get there I went through Washington Square Park where I hadn't been since last summer, when Jeff and I wondered through after a 10 mile walk of the city (the big arch that's in the Friends opener that resembles the Arc de Triomphe in Paris). I like it there.

As I approached SoHo the sun began to shine and it solidified my new obsession with SoHo. I really feel like the sun always shines there, or maybe it was just my imagination...or maybe I was in a movie and it was a little pathetic fallacy. Anyways, I made it to stop 2: Broadway Panhandler. I was expecting sort of the same thing, and from their website, I was kind of expecting weird stuff, not well organized, again, kind of dusty and old. But boy, was I surprised. Yes, it was kind of a cramped store (although probably double the size of the first store), but every where you turned there was a new treasure. It was also better displayed than the first store as well. They had all the stuff as the first place, and more! Every Le Creuset and All Clad pot and pan you could imagine, more knives than I ever thought possible, plus all sorts of cool dishes and mugs and cups and napkins and you name it. Very cool and eclectic stuff plus all the basics. I was sure, by the second I walked in that I would definitely not be leaving empty handed. After one stroll through the store, I didn't want to leave, I wanted to keep wandering around, but I knew the more time I spent there the harder it would be to leave with nothing. So the first thing I picked up, not very exciting, were a couple of candles (we have these candle sticks that I've never been able to find replacement candles for), and then I found new latte mugs!

We always always have our eyes out for mugs for lattes, it's a difficult thing because most mugs are huge, even a normal coffee mug is too big for a latte. We currently have two mugs which are absolutely perfect but we're so afraid we're going to break them, so we're always looking for new ones. Anyways, there was actually a large variety of mugs that fit our bill and I carefully selected two. And the last thing I got was (not terribly exciting to most, but exciting to me) was a can of Baker's Joy. Flour and oil in an aerosol can so you don't have to butter and flour your dish when baking, which I find to be one of the most annoying things about baking. I know Pam has recently come out with a similar product, but I've heard great things about the Baker Joy brand.

So, not too bad, I made it out without breaking the bank. All very good purchases. However, I did find the Panhandler was a bit more expensive than the Bridge Kitchenware; they too had the cast iron sandwich pans, but for $11.50. Quite a markup. I didn't check All-Clad or any of the Le Creuset stuff that I knew the price of Williams-Sonoma, but I'm guessing it's probably pretty comparable. Although, I've heard the Panhandler has a blow-out sale every June and August.

I'll definitely be going back again, maybe next time when I actually need something. But it certainly was fun wondering around those stores. Another Fieldtrip Friday success (maybe too successful with the un-necessary purchases).

Oh, by the way, coverage next week is going to be spotty. I know you'll all be very sad. I'll write when I can, but it probably won't be very often. Back in full force the week of the 3rd!

No comments: