Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Shakin' it at the Shake

Wow. What an adventure! And when I say adventure, I mean exercise in waiting very very patiently while you are very very hungry. Made all the worse by the fact that I was waiting for burgers and shakes, two of my most favorite things in the whole wide world.

We arrived at the shack at 12:45 to a very long line. I had had an errand to run earlier in the day, so I had been wondering around outside since 11 AM, with a few stops at a few stores. Needless to say I was quite chilly and definitely ready for some food (especially since I normally eat lunch at 11:30). We were able to wet our appetite with a taste of the custard of the day, cinnamon toast. And boy did it wet my appetite. Even though it was cold out, I was definitely planning on getting a shake, if for no other reason, so I could pretend that I was at the DQ for the cold opening.

At 1:35 we had placed our burger orders, a single for me with a shake and a double for Jeff with an order of fries. There were 7 of us, so at least waiting in line was fun, even if it was for 50 minutes. As a nice little gift for coming out on opening day and waiting in the cold, we were each given a $2 gift certificate for our next visit. Oh, but don't think the wait was over yet. Then, you get in the line to get your food. There, you're waiting at a window with hot food coming out; forced to smell the burger aroma. At about 2:05 our order number was called, hallelujah! There was definitely a fist pump on my part upon hearing my name called.

We grabbed a table and pulled out the burger jems. They looked dee-licious. However I definitely should have gone for the double, I was STARVING! Next time.

I bit into the burger and I knew we were working with a high quality burger. It was really really hard not to eat it really fast, but I slowed myself down with big slurps of my shake. I probably could have done a much better evaluation if I weren't so cold or so hungry. I would have to agree, it was a very good burger, although I would have like to have seen more shack sauce on it. But, it still doesn't live up good ole' Red Coat burgers. I also wish that I wouldn't have had to wait for nearly an hour and a half to eat. Although I very do much appreciate the fact that I have time and can enjoy such meals. Next time I'll have to go when I'm not so hungry so I'm not so incredibly starving by the time I get up to the window. The shake was also very very good, but I think the custard is better just by itself, it was UN-believably creamy.

I am definitely a fan of the Shake Shack. I think that it actually is a good thing the wait is so long (and from what I hear, it's always that long, not even just on the first day) otherwise I'd be there every day for lunch!

Mmm...full tummy...time for a nap.

2 comments:

Emil said...

I was also upset at the small amount of shack sauce on my burger.

When the shack first opened, they provided free shack sauce in the condiment area. It was great for fries, as well as burger-dipping. Alas, now it costs $2 and must be ordered at the same time as the food. I wonder what's in it? Could you tell?

Caren said...

I think it's some mayo ketchup mixture. Next time I think I will definitely pay for the extra and then try tasting it by itself to disect the flavor...I'll keep you posted.