Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Nutty for Pine Nuts

I'm not sure when and where I decided that I liked pine nuts. It hasn't been long since I've been a devoted fan to this little jems. But I don't think that they taste very good when they're not toasted. They're transformed into a golden toasty nut from a boring plain tasteless nut. I've tried to figure out exactly what happens in the toasting process, but the interweb has failed me. Or, more likely, my google search skills are not up to par (yes, it is ironic).

I do know that it is well accepted that toasting does bring out a deeper, nuttier flavor and adds some crunch. And I do know that the toasted nuts don't last as long as plain nuts either. But other than that, the whole toasting process of nuts is kind of an enigma to me. Even my "On Food and Cooking" book which is supposed to be THE guide to food and food chemistry doesn't explain what happens in the toasting process. It simply says "nuts are good simply oven-toasted or fried for a few minutes, which transforms the chewy, pliable, bland, pale seeds into crisp, flavorful brown morsels."

I personally prefer the dry toasting method in a pan on the stovetop. It's easy, it's quick and I don't have to clean anything. I put a small saute pan over medium-low heat and add the nuts. They kind of need a lot of attention so they don't burn but the whole thing takes a couple of minutes anyway, so it's no big deal. I just shake the nuts around in the pan until they are light golden brown and pull them off the heat and out of the pan (which is important because they'll keep cooking if you leave them in the pan and probably burn).

So what's so great about these piney treats? Well first of all, they don't actually taste like pine, but they do come from pine cones, which is pretty darn neato, and they take about 3 years to mature on the cone. Other than that, they're pretty unremarkable, but they have a fantastic nutty flavor that can't be described in a little ole' blog. You've got to try them. And you better toast them or you're wasting your time and money. So, what's the best way to enjoy the nut o' pine? Glad you asked...

I like them straight up on salads best. Plain and simple and they really perk up the salad (not as much as the spiced nuts do, but they're much easier to prepare). There's also tons of recipes out there for pine nut tarts and cookies and things, which I actually haven't tried, but I'm sure are pretty darn tasty. BUT, let's walk through the classic usage, pesto.

Pesto....yum. Again, something that I was very much afraid of for a very long time. I always thought there was too much oil and then there was the "I don't like pine nuts" problem as well which certainly has resolved itself. But really, you use like a tablespoon or so of the pesto per serving, so it's not so bad. Plus, you can freeze it and pull it out whenever you want to use it. And you can use pesto for everything. Pasta (obviously), sandwich spread, topping/sauce for chicken or turkey or lamb or shrimp, "potato salad" (in quotes because real potato salad is and always will be Grammy's potato salad, anything else is pseudo potato salad), addition to soups, pizza, just about anything! Last night we had grilled veggie sandwiches with goat cheese and pesto (pulled out of the freezer). Plus pesto can be whipped up in your food-processor (mini or regular), super quick, super easy.

I kind of add as much or as little of the classic ingredients based on how much of the ingredients I have on hand (but make sure you taste it and it tastes good) and what I feel like, but here's what my concoction is based on (scale up or down as needed) from the food network:

Pesto
1/2 cup pine nuts (TOASTED) - You can also use some walnuts for an omega-3 kick
3 T chopped garlic
5 cups basil
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup parmesan cheese (freshly grated)
1 cup of olive oil (I add the olive oil until the texture looks right to me, I like it thick)

Put the garlic in the food processor and chop it up. Add the nuts, salt and pepper and pulse together. Add the basil, pulse a few more times, and then drizzle in the oil to desired consistency (there are small holes in the top of the food processor for just this use). Dump it out of the food processor and fold in the parmesan cheese (seriously, freshly grated). If you want to freeze it, put it in an airtight container and put a piece of plastic wrap directly on top of the pesto. Defrost and use as needed.

Party on pesto!

No comments: