Wednesday, December 27, 2006

One more before vacation

Here's my fair warning ... this entry is slightly more personal, centering around leg waxing (although there are no gory details per se). I would say it would be slightly more interesting to my female reader(s). Those not wanting to read further may stop here. See you next year!

Vacation prep...it always consumes my mind for about a month before we go. At least for the bigger trips. So this year, since my mind was not especially filled with exciting work things, I was really focused on the vacation planning. Well that and Christmas presents. But with nothing else consuming my mind I decided about a month ago (since we are going to sunnier climes), I would try leg waxing for the first time.

I am fairly new to the waxing fad that is currently consuming women. Let's just leave it at that. But I hate shaving every day or every other day when I'm on a vacation in which I am wearing a bathing suit every day. It's a pain... It seemed to just make perfect sense to get them waxed.

So back in early December I started growing out my leg hair to the acceptable waxing length. The first week went by without incident, and week 2 rolled around (and this will come as a real shocker to those who knew me in high school and college) and I COULD NOT stand it. The hair was long, itchy, etc... I'm not going to go into details here, but I used to pretty much wait from October until April to shave so this reaction of mine was a surprise even to me. I was very ready to abort the mission but I stayed the course.

Every day I would count down until my appointment (it was like my own personal Advent calendar). Clean, smooth, legs was all I could think about. And I was planning to get my whole legs done, not just stopping at the knee.

So yesterday was the day, I was so excited (well, as excited as you can be about getting hair ripped out of your body), and then I looked down at my legs. I thought to myself "in the context of leg waxing, my legs are kind of long." and I began to doubt my decision. It seemed like a whole lot of hair coming out.

So I set off for my appointment (after downing 800 mg of motrin), nervous, excited, nervous. I got there and pestered my waxer with questions about the painfulness of the leg waxing. She said that she'd do the lower half first and then I could stop if I wanted to.

I nearly cried the first time she ripped the wax off. And it's not like I've never gotten anything waxed before. Immediately the sweat began pouring from every pore in my body, I was happy I at least remembered that I reacted this way to waxing and wore a short sleeve shirt. 10 painful minutes later was go time on the full leg decision and I voted two very emphatic thumbs down to full leg waxing. I flipped over, and this is the disgusting part, I was sweating so much that the paper on the table was sticking to me. Talk about embarrassing. And I'm not even a person who sweats a lot, even at the gym.

I made it through the rest of the waxing and I cringed when I put my jeans back on. oww...

So, obviously the first thing I did when I got home was put shorts on. Which is when I realized that my legs weren't even smooth. They had that "day AFTER you shave" feeling! Not that "I just got them waxed" feeling I had expected. I'm sure if I were a "regular" then they would have felt great. But I wasn't. That's when I decided I never would be either. I had to go through 3 painful weeks of itchy dry long haired legs, one extremely painful appointment and I'm STILL going to have to shave on vacation (not to mention the money I blew on the appointment itself). Uh-huh, no way, this is one job that I will continue to do myself at my own leisure.

Talk about a crummy commercial.....never ever again. Someone, please point me to this entry when next year the same "good idea" pops into my head. Inevitably it will.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm on my way to get my first one! yikes, thanks for the motrin tip!