Wednesday, February 08, 2006

The first, and hopefully not the last

While I have some time on my hands, I figured I'd share all my exciting (and perhaps not terribly exciting) endeavors in my kitchen and in my new home in NYC.

The first adventure began yesterday while I attempted to create the family-famous pierogi recipe. It began well intentioned. Got the official recipe from Grammy, wrote it diligently in my "Treasured Polish Recipes for Americans" cookbook and dug my heels in. Unfortunately, in our small NY kitchen, I needed to knead the dough on the table. Great, if we didn't have one of those tables with sides that fold down (more explanation later). It also would have been better if I would have remembered to add the egg yolks before I had kneaded the dough and set it to rest. Hmmm...that presented a problem.

In a stroke of culinary stupidity, out of the fridge came the dough and in went the egg yolks to the smooth ball of dough. What then happened was an oozing mess of egg yolk covered dough, dripping through the cracks of the kitchen table (where the sides fold down) onto the floor. Even the cat wasn't interested in the mess.

A pile of flour and an extended resting period for the dough later, I rolled it out, stuffed them with a delicious potato mixture...and I ended up pulling it out in the end. If you're interested in this terribly resilient dough recipe...see below (Grammy, I hope you don't mind I'm giving away the family secret).

Pierogi (this is intentionally left to be somewhat ambiguous, use your culinary judgment)
2 cups flour
1 cup sour cream (use the good stuff)
2 egg yolks (don't forget these the first time!)
1 T melted butter
salt

Mix everything together in food processor until just comes together. Dump out on table and knead a bit until smooth. Let rest for 10-15 minutes (or longer if you've made a mess of it). Roll out dough, stuff with your favorite filling. Boil then fry in butter.
DEE-LICIOUS!

No comments: