Saturday, April 28, 2007

Egg House

During my weeks of very exciting travel, I made my way south of the Mason-Dixon line for a week. It was much better than the weeks I spent far north staring across the border at foreign lands (well, just one not so foreign land). While I was south of the Mason-Dixon line, I was in the midst of yet another real estate nightmare crises, and I did not manage to explore the town much. I was able to explore the room service menu (good selection, reasonable prices, but they get you every time with the delivery fee plus the standard included 20% tip). Although, I was only there a couple of nights thanks to the monsoon that hit NY the night I was supposed to go down there.

So really, my only food experience in the southern lands was the Apple Bee's in the airport (BARF). HOWEVER, while in the taxi on the way to the airport I passed a Waffle House, followed immediately by a Pancake House. Which left me wondering, why no Egg House?

It's true, you always see waffle and pancake houses, but never an egg house. I confirmed my suspicion with Jeff who agreed he'd never seen an Egg House (perhaps he was agreeable because we were running through the park and he wanted me to stop talking). Realizing Jeff may not be the expert on the existence of egg houses, I did a search on google. No egg houses. But the 2nd result was "How to wash egg off a house" - good to know.

So, then, why no egg houses? One assumes that you'd be able to get eggs at a pancake or waffle house, plus you can do a million billion different things with eggs. WAY more than you can do with pancakes or waffles. Let's see..omelets (obviously), regular eggs (any way you want 'em), fancy frittatas with smoked salmon and goat cheese, or perhaps chorizo and avocado, baked egg casseroles, plus technically, eggs are in waffles and pancakes, so you'd have those. And crepes, those are actually mostly eggs, and french toast. Not to mention the egg sandwich, the best thing since sliced bread (get it? ha! sliced bread is needed for the egg sandwich...so it wasn't invented until...never mind, if I have to spell it out for you it's not going to be funny anymore). You can serve cake and cookies and meringues and any breaded meat dish; you can have lots of challah, and ice cream...seriously, the possibilities are endless.

Perhaps the issue is that no one has been able to narrow down the options and that's why there are no egg houses. Maybe it's just the simple fact that "Pancake House" sounds a bit more appealing than "Egg House" - it does kind of sound like you're going to egg a house (like google suggests).

If I ran an "Egg House" I would definitely have the egg sandwich as the center piece of my menu. It celebrates the egg but enhances its goodness with a porky accent (any good egg sandwich has ham or bacon). Plus, again, the possibilities are endless...you can do the standard BLT&E or an egg wrap with ham and cheddar, or for something fancier, fried eggs with prosciutto and pesto and goat cheese, or if you're in the mood for an egg sandwich with mexican or spanish flair, chorizo and manchego with roasted red peppers. Plus, you can vary the bread options tremendously, bagels, rye, wraps, you name it, you can do it. Wow, I could go on and on...this may be my hidden talent, discovering new egg sandwiches...I bet I can't sleep tonight while I am discovering all the new possibilities.

While I never discovered why no Egg Houses exist, I certainly found a way to pass the time while I waited on the airplane for 3 hours to take off.

...italian sausage and mozzarella...chives and cream cheese and smoked salmon (hey, there's one without pork)...feta and tomato (there's another)...grilled onion and peppers with prosciutto and parmesan...

No comments: